Today wasn't the best. My patience has been wearing thin with what may be age-appropriate behavior. I need to find a new way to deal with the students who are distracting everyone around them.
New seats will be assigned tomorrow.
Overall, I'm VERY pleased with how the classes have been responding to the lessons over the last week. I've included more direct instruction and practice, but I'm tweaking my questions. I'm not asking for answers as much as I'm asking for methods.
I'm making a conscious effort to point out when kids give good explanations and I'm trying to probe their reasoning to make sure their answers are coincidence.
While I enjoy using direct instruction because of the story-telling opportunities that it affords me, I do find it exhausting. This is due, in no small part, to my deep desire to have the kids explore their learning rather than just listening to me.
But we do what needs must.
The integrated math class received their next project today. I found a "Design a Business" project online and adapted it to my kids. It's excellently broken down into smaller tasks, each with its own rubric. I need to be very conscious of being on them for this project or, I fear, we will fall into the same trap that we did last time.
I was not as ready to return from this past weekend as I was from break. My daughter had bad dreams last night so I didn't get to sleep as much as I would have liked.
I did, however, get a chance to do a little more turning.